Guide to the Progress Test Series Scoring Service
Thank you for choosing the paper edition of the Progress Test Series. All Pupil Booklets will be scored by GL Assessment as part of an all-inclusive per pupil price which also covers the full suite of reports.
This short guide gives information about the service and what you need to do pre- and post-testing to ensure that the scoring and reporting phase is efficient and problem-free. GL Assessment makes every attempt to deliver the Scoring and Reporting service within 15 days. However, failure to follow the instructions in this guide may result in delays. We recommend you read the Troubleshooting section carefully.
1. Placing your order
The per pupil price includes:
- A pupil booklet
- An At A Glance Guide to administer the test (one for every 10 booklets)
- Batch Header Sheet
- The scoring and reports service
- Plus this guide to the Scoring Service
You can administer the test at a time to suit you. If you are intending to test immediately, we recommend that you complete and return the Data File now (although please refer to potential issues with data integrity in the Troubleshooting section).
2. Collating booklets for marking
A ‘batch’ consists of all the Pupil Booklets from a single level of each test. For the despatch, you will need to collate booklets in line with this. In all instances you will need to complete a Batch Header Sheet (BHS).
The Batch Header Sheet requires information that is essential to the efficient scoring of your pupils’ test booklets. You must complete:
- Name, address and telephone number of your school with a contact name
- Date of testing
- Test level
- Year group or
- Number of booklets
Please do not include booklets from different test levels under a single BHS; one form per level is required.
Once the BHS has been completed and the test booklets batched up accordingly, you are now ready to return your pupil booklets.
To print your parcel label please go to the following URL: https://reports.testwise.net/print.my.label
Please firmly attach your returns label to the outer side of each carton(s) and then place the remaining section inside the parcel and seal the carton. Your parcel is now ready to return via a secure delivery.
Please note GL Assessment cannot accept responsibility for loss of or damage to Pupil Booklets occurring in the post.
3. Pupil Data File
In order to provide accurate and timely reporting, we need a correctly completed Excel Data File to accompany each batch of booklets. You will need to create one data file per test series, which can include all test levels. We recommend creating your data file once the testing is completed ensuring only the pupils who sat the test are included in the data file.
The reports include analysis by a range of criteria, which can only be delivered when accuracy and consistency are applied to the data file/s. Without an accurate data file, delays to the 15-day scoring and reporting service can occur.
4. Downloading/Uploading the Data File Template
We have an improved method for you to complete and submit your data files. We have removed the complications of encrypting and emailing this to our scoring team, and put in place a template and submission process, which keeps your pupil data confidential and secure.
You will now upload your data file directly onto TRS (https://reports.testwise.net). You should already have a login for this, but if you have any queries, please contact Customer Services on 0330 123 5375, who will gladly assist.
Please note – When completing your data file, the information given must match what you have provided on the booklets being returned.
To access the template, please log in to your account and follow the below steps:
- Select ‘Data file download and upload for PT Series’,
- Select the relevant series such as Maths, English or Science
- Click on ‘Download PT series Data file’
- Open the Excel file and there is a full instruction sheet in the template to guide you through the process. We recommend printing the instruction page off to assist with the data file creation
- Once you have completed all the stages on the instruction sheet you will now have a fully validated CSV file for you to upload into your account.
- To upload, your CSV file go back onto your TRS account and select Yes or No to returning the booklets
- Add the relevant date
- Select ‘Browse’ and find the data file which you have saved
- Click on ‘Upload PT series file’
When this has been successfully completed, you will receive an email notification summarising the levels, and pupil numbers for each of your data file submissions.
Some criteria for analysis are fixed, these are as per below:
|Free School Meals||Please enter Yes/No|
|Ethinic Group||Please enter the group that applies. For any single group ensure that consistency and accuracy are applied. For example White British and white British will be treated as two categories for analysis|
|Special Educational Needs||You may prefer to enter Yes/No as analysis by discrete categories may include a very small number of pupils and so not yield reliable comparative data|
|EAL||Again it may be advisable to enter Yes/No instead of more discrete criteria|
There are five columns in the Data File with headers Custom 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. These can be used for any additional criteria against which you would like analysis. For example, analysis by a pupil’s home postcode, feeder nursery, and the number of years the pupil has been in the school. It is not necessary to use any or all five columns.
5. Accessing your reports
Scoring will take up to 15 working days from the receipt of the booklets and the data file.
Once scoring is complete, an email will be sent to tell you that your reports are ready. This includes details of how to access our online reporting system (TRS) and how to create your own password.
The following reports are included in the per pupil price:
- Group report for teachers (PDF and Excel)
- Individual student report for teachers
- Individual report for parents
If you are part of a group of schools, a Cluster report is available for an additional charge. Please let us know, when ordering, if you require a Cluster report and which schools are to be included in the cluster.
The GL Assessment Scoring Team can be contacted at [email protected] or by calling Customer Services on 0330 123 5375.
Avoiding delays to the 15-day Scoring and Reporting Service
- Report generation can take up to 15 working days to complete – the 15 working days will commence from the next working day after Pupil Booklets, correctly completed Batch Header Sheet/s and correctly completed Data File/s have been received.
- Data File accuracy is key as this information will determine the level of your data and analysis within your reports, including dates of birth, gender, etc. This will also ensure the reports created for you are of the highest possible value.
- Batch Header Sheets are to be provided per test level not per order.
- Pupil Booklet front covers need to be completed clearly, accurately and in full, to allow us to identify each pupil for scoring. This includes full forename, surname and date of birth. Where possible this information should match the data file uploaded, this will then also prevent delays in processing if incorrect/missing data has to be amended.
- Pupil booklet front covers must contain the school DfE number and not any other GL associated account reference.
- Common issues causing delays to the 15-day scoring and reporting service include:
- Inaccuracies in your Data File. For example, inclusion of ‘absent’ pupils (those not present on the day of testing, but included in a previously uploaded version of the data file).
- Incomplete or inaccurate Batch Header Sheet submissions. For example, missing information or more than one test level included in the same BHS.
- Issues with pupil booklets. For example, use of photocopied booklets, ripped pages, faint writing, or use of red pen.